Lake Land College offers a variety of community courses in June
Posted on May 15, 2013
The course details and information are as follows:
- Have you always wanted to write a short story but don’t know how to start? Come let instructor Jennifer Bryant show you how to develop a plotline, create characters and edit your story. Write a complete short story in only three weeks. Bring a notebook. Writing a Short Story CE-WRIT116-29528 will meet Wednesday June 5 – June 19 in Neal Hall room 113. The cost is $30.
- Want a fun new craft? Try Cardboard Weaving! Using a cardboard loom and other simple objects, you will learn basic weaving techniques. Instructor Kathy Bryant will focus on using color as pattern and how to finish and display your artwork. Cardboard loom kit included. Bring scissors and a comb. Cardboard Weaving- Basic, CE-CRFT141-29569 will meet June 10 from 1-3 p.m. at the Kluthe Center in Effingham. The cost is $26.35.
- Create timeless pieces and preserve your memories in vintage style. Learn the art of hand tinting black and white photographs. Instructor Jennifer Bryant will show you how to use three different mediums in class to hand tint your photographs. Materials will be provided. Bring three 8 x 10 black and white photographs. CE-PHTO112-29563 will meet Monday June 10 from 5 -8 p.m. In Neal Hall room 111. The cost is $35.
- Make writing a priority in your life! Creative writing includes writing any or all types of fiction, non-fiction and poetry genres. Significant parts of the class include writing, different techniques to spark writing ideas, peer editing, critiquing classmates’ material and sharing writing. The instructor will be Cheryl Stolz. CNC-022-29920 will meet Tuesday June 11 – July 2 in Effingham at the Kluthe Center. The cost is $50.
- Learn the art of hand lettering and create you own unique invitations, or add some pizzazz to your photo album or scrapbook. Instructor Brett Bensley, will show you the basics of this art. You will be able to create your own projects using basic pen techniques and brushwork. Calligraphy pen included. For ages 10 and up. Calligraphy, CE-ARTS159-29727 will meet Tuesday June 11- July 9 from 6-7 p.m. in Webb Hall, room 105. The cost is $40.
- Building on skills learned in basic weaving, Instructor Kathy Bryant will introduce new patterns as well as textures and colors. Basket weave and twill variations give endless possibilities to create unique, one-of-a kind art pieces. Bring your cardboard loom kit from Basic Weaving. Cardboard Weaving Intermediate will meet Tuesday June 11 from 1-3 p.m. in Effingham at the Kluthe Center. The cost is $20.
- Design and make three beautiful glass pendants using tack fusing and full fusing. Instructor Jody Johnson will fire the pendants. The second session you will see your fired pendants and attach to bails. Material and necklace are included. Fused glass jewelry CE-ARTS192-30194 will meet Tuesday June11- June 18 from 6-9 p.m. in Charleston at JJ’s Studio and tools will be available. The cost is $100.
- Get the most you can out of your digital camera! Come let photographer Joe Ethridge teach you about lighting, exposure, focusing, metering, and lots more. Learn the importance of aperture settings, depth of field shutter speeds, ISO, HDR, RAW, JECG, PSAM, and so much more. The class will not be held on July 2 or 4. All About Digital Photography, CNC-019-15108, will meet Tuesday June 11- July 23 from 6:30-9:30 p.m. in Neal Hall room 113. CNC-019-15109 will meet Thursday June 13- July 25 in Effingham at the Kluthe Center from 6:30-9:30 p.m. The cost of either class is $110.
- Join us for this no stress, just lots of fun, knitting class and soon you won’t want to put down your knitting needles! Make a hat or scarf of your choosing or pick one of the styles provided by instructor Brenda Hardiek. Both beginner and intermediate knitters are welcome. Bring one skein #4 worsted weight yarn, size 8” and 10” straight needles or a 16” circular needle. Class will not meet July 4. CNC-014-29914, Knitting: Just One More Row will meet Thursday June 13- July 25 from 6-8 p.m. at the Kluthe Center in Effingham. The cost is $47.50.
- You are never too young or old to start training your brain! Brain fitness is just as important as physical fitness. In Brain Training, instructor Cheri Burcham will teach you exercises to improve your memory and cognitive abilities. CE-HLTH149-29193 will meet Monday June 17 and Monday June 24 from 1:30-3 p.m. in Shelbyville at the Senior Center. The cost is $25.
- By passing the WorkKeys Proficiency Exam you’ll become highly qualified to be a paraprofessional teacher aide. The tests cover math, reading and writing. Tests are by appointment only. To make your appointment, call 217-234-5087. Tests will be at the WorkForce Development Center in Mattoon. The cost is $121.75.
- Beginner or experienced golfer, if you want to sharpen your skills, this is the class for you. Golf-Fun for a Lifetime will cover putting, chipping, pitching and full swing. The instructor is PGA golf professional Kelly Spaulding. Join Kelly Tuesdays and Wednesdays June 18 - June 26 from 5:30-7 p.m. at Meadowview Golf Course in Mattoon. The cost is $50.
- Experienced Lincolnland Hospice staff Jennifer Kirk will cover all aspects of caring for the terminally ill. Discover the physical, emotional, psychosocial and spiritual end-of-life care issues. Upon completion, you will be eligible to become a Lincolnland Hospice volunteer. There is no fee for these classes; however, registration is required for participation. This is open to ages 18 and above. CE-ENRC108-29459 will meet Tuesday June 11 from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. in Webb Hall, room 105; CE-ENRC108-29473 will meet Tuesday June 18 from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. in Effingham at the Kluthe Center; and CE-ENRC108-29477 will meet Tuesday June 25 from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. at the Eastern Region Center in Marshall, room 103.
Take online courses from the comfort of your home or anywhere, at the times convenient for you. Read lessons, participate in exercises, and hold discussions with fellow students and the instructor. All ed2go classes run from June 19- August 9. The cost is $104.99 per course. To check the offering or sign up go to www.ed2go.com/lakelandcollege .
Want to trace your family history? Instructor Barbara George has online classes in Genealogy.
· Genealogy Basics-CNC-018-25686: Topics include charts and forms and to acquire information for the popular genealogical and surname sites, search engine tips and more. Class runs June 14 – July 14. The cost is $45.
· Specific genealogical information-CNC-018-25687; learn where to look in vital records, birth , adoption, marriage and death, census, tax and land records, military records, gazettes, and city and county directories. Receive tips on Native American, African American, Hispanic, and religious groups’ searches. Class runs June 24- July 24. The cost is $45.
· Genealogical Research Advanced-CNC-018-25688; learn how to access and utilize ship passenger lists, records of immigration and naturalization, American migration trails and homestead applications. Also learn how to find mental patients, prisoners, school students, teachers, female ancestors as well as records from CCC and WPA. The class runs from June 28 – July 28. The cost is $45.
· In Word Genealogy CNC-018-29128 you will use the skills learned in the previous courses to do research in more than 52 countries around the world. The class meets July 1- July 30. The cost is $45.
Send this article to a friend