Lake Land College offers a variety of community courses this October
The Lake Land College office of Community and Professional Programs will offer several community courses throughout the month of October. Find a new hobby, brush up on a skill and have some fun with Lake Land College!
The course details and information are as follows:
• Learn to identify potential funding sources, understand different types of proposals, develop a budget and avoid common mistakes, in Grant Writing 101. CNC-016-27518 with instructor Amber Floyd will meet Saturday, Oct. 5 from 9 a.m. – 5 p.m. in Neal Hall, room 115. The cost is $81.50. Grant Writing 102, CNC-016-27519, meets Saturday, Oct. 19 from 9 a.m. – 5 p.m. in Neal Hall room 115. The cost is $81.50.
• Feeling stressed because of work, school or family situations? Come join instructor Karen Ethridge and experience a Hypnosis Stress Relieve Session to relieve that stressed out feeling. You will also learn to do self-hypnosis. Ethridge will have two sessions: CE-HLTH128-30841 will meet Tuesday, Oct. 1 from 7 - 9 p.m. in Webb Hall, room 105. CE-HLTH128-30842 will meet Thursday, Oct. 3 from 7 - 9 p.m. in Effingham at Kluthe Center in room 201. The cost of either class is $20. This class is open to those 18 and older.
• Did you just get engaged? Wonder what to do next or how to prepare for the big day? Join instructor Christal Finch for Bridal Boot Camp. CE-ENRC187-30776 will meet Saturday Oct. 5 from 8 a.m. - noon at the Kluthe Center in Effingham. Topics will include venues, bakers, catering and DJs, budgets, engagement announcements, invitations and current trends for weddings. Learn useful skills such as pinning a boutonniere, do’s and don’ts of wedding etiquette and how to set a formal table. The cost is $37.
• Discover your body and voice as a performing instrument! In Acting Fundamentals, you will develop skills in relaxation and concentration and acquire basic theatre terminology. Instructor Earl Halbe will help you attain self awareness and confidence. You will read and perform monologues and short scenes. For those ages 12-17, please register in CE-ARTS199-30827. Those 18 and older, please register in CNC-026-28397. Acting Fundamentals will meet Wednesdays, Oct. 16 – Dec. 4 from 6:30 - 8 p.m. in Luther Student Center Theater on campus in Mattoon. The cost is $62.50.
• Exciting Latin Style dancing-means CHA CHA! Feel the Latin beat and move your body while practicing easy techniques and simple patterns. Dance: Cha Cha for Beginners, CE-RECR192-30763 will meet Sundays, Oct. 6 - Oct. 27 from 1:10 – 2 p.m. in Webb Hall, room 081. The instructors are Cheryl and Scott Sweet. A second class will be held from 5:10 - 6 p.m., Oct 6 - Oct 27 in Effingham at the EMA building. The course number is CE-RECR192-30767. The cost of either class is $36.
• Did you take Dance Swing for Beginners and enjoy it? Then join instructors Cheryl and Scott Sweet for Dance: Swing Next Level. Add some flashy steps to your dance and learn some cool moves that will make you the envy of all your friends. CE-RECR182-30765 will meet Sundays, Oct. 6 – Oct. 27 from 2:10 - 3 p.m. in Webb Hall, room 081. Class CE-RECR182-30766 will meet Oct. 6 – Oct. 27 from 4:10 - 5 p.m. in Effingham at the EMA building. The cost of either class is $36.
• In, Your Young Child: Parenting 101, you will learn how to feel more confident during seven of the most difficult childhood stages. CNC-018-30821 will meet with instructor, Cheri Burcham, on Mondays, Oct. 21 – Nov. 4 from 6 – 8:30 p.m. in Charleston at the LifeSpan Center on Loxa Road. The cost is $10.
• Learn to insert and format text, columns and rows, sort data, perform math functions and work with multiple sheets within the same file. Instructor Wrobria Roberts will teach you all of this in Excel 2010 Made Simple. CNC-030-30785 will meet on Fridays, Oct. 4 - Oct. 25 from 5 - 7 p.m. in Webb Hall, room 106. The cost is $59 and includes the flash drive.
• Make a lovely crocheted ribbon yarn necklace with a matching bracelet that resemble bead word, when completed. Instructor Shirley Splittstoesser will provide several colors of ribbon yarn for you to choose from. Please bring an H, I, or J crochet hook and scissors with you. Crochet a Necklace & Bracelet, CE-ARTS169-30788, will meet Wednesday, Oct. 9 from 9 – 11 a.m. in Neal Hall room 113. The cost is $23.
• Would you like specific sources to aid you in your genealogical research? Barbara George will show you how to search passenger lists, immigration and naturalization documents, American Migration trails, homestead applications and more. Genealogical Research Advanced CNC-01823091 will be available online Oct. 20 – Nov. 19 and the cost is $45.
• Are you a current Student? Or, do you have a collection of photos and memorabilia from your college days 5, 10, 20 or more years ago? Join instructor Jennifer Watters for Scrapbooking the College Years, a fun filled class where you will learn various techniques, tips and tricks on how to document these memories. CNC-018-31803 will meet on Fridays, Oct. 25 - Nov. 22, 11 a.m. - 12:30 p.m. in Neal Hall room 113. All materials are included in the $75 cost.
• Come along on a trip through the past as we use photographs and a variety of techniques and materials to transform your memories into a creative home décor project. Each week will feature a different topic to explore and develop on our time traveling journey! Instructor Jennifer Watters will guide you on your journey. Home Décor Time Traveling, CNC-018-31799 will meet on Tuesdays, Oct. 29 – Nov. 26 from 12:30 p.m. – 2 p.m. in Charleston at the LifeSpan Center on Loxa Road. The cost of the class is $85.
• Photographs record our personal journey through life. However, our lives are not always smiles and sunshine. Join instructor Jennifer Watters for a therapeutic arts based class as you learn how to create a private and personal scrapbook with your record of what happens between the birthday parties and happy memories that most people record, using past and future photography. Recording Real Life, CNC-018-31802 will meet Fridays, Oct. 25- Nov. 22 from 12:40 – 2:40 p.m. in Neal Hall, room 113. Materials are included in the $100 cost.
• Take a walk on the wild side as we study the Art of Boudoir Photography, its various styles, and discover more about this hot topic. Sample a variety of sensual desserts as instructor Jennifer Watters shows you how to fire things up. Class will contain mature content so enrollment limited to ages 18 and above. CE-PHTO114-31808 will meet Fridays, Oct. 25 – Nov. 22 from 7:30 – 8:30 p.m. in Neal Hall room 106. All materials are included in the $85 cost.
• Learn how you can comfortably afford your child’s future educational cost, what alternatives are available to help build your child’s education fund, and how custodial accounts and the Kiddie Tax rules work. Education Planning with 529’s, course CE-FIN$105-30852 will meet with instructor Gary Swearingen on Wednesdays, Oct. 9 – Oct. 16 from 7 – 8 p.m. in Neal Hall, room 113. The cost of the class is $45 and spouses may attend for free.
For more information, or for an enrollment form, contact the Office of Community and Professional Programs, (217) 234-5219.
To register online using a VISA/MC/Discover, go to www.lakeland.cc.il.us/learn choose the course number desired. To register by phone, call Admissions and Records (217)-234-5434. You will be sent a statement for payment. The drop date for a refund is five business days prior to the start of the class.
Director of Marketing and Public Relations
Marketing Design Coordinator
Marketing Production Specialist
Marketing Design Coordinator