Back to the Media Room
Lake Land College’s Destination College honors middle and high school students at annual awards ceremony
May 15, 2014
Lake Land College’s Destination College Program recently held its annual awards ceremony honoring students for their outstanding participation and achievements for the 2013-2014 school year.
Destination College is a program that assists students by providing them with resources to help them reach their college and career goals. The program serves students enrolled in grades six through 12 at schools within the Lake Land College district. Schools districts included in the program are: Brownstown Junior High School, Brownstown High School, Casey-Westfield Junior High School, Casey-Westfield High School, Herrick Grade School, Cowden-Herrick High School, Mattoon Middle School, Mattoon High School, Mayo Middle School, Pana High School, Pana Junior High School, St. Elmo Junior High School, St. Elmo Senior High School, Paris High School, Ramsey Grade School and Ramsey High School.
Lori Ohnesorge, director of Destination College, welcomed students and parents and spoke about how the program has developed and grown over the past eight years. Additionally philanthropist Frank Brummer, Teutopolis, was the celebrity guest speaker.
“As a team we’ve witnessed sixth graders grow into successful young adults,” said Ohnesorge. We are so proud of the work you do! This event is our way to give back to you, the dedicated and hardworking students, and your supportive families.”
Several awards were presented during the ceremony. The following students, listed by school, received the following awards:
• Casey-Westfield: Hannah Foltz, College Ready Award and Excellence and Leadership Award
• Casey Jr. High: Selena Watkins- Burrell, Excellence and Leadership
• Mattoon High School: Macy Brown, College Ready Award and Excellence and Leadership Award; Jasmine Wilson, College Ready Award; Alyson Winkleblack, College Ready Award; and Kylon Weaver, College Ready Award.
• Mattoon Middle School: Nicholis Redfern, Excellence and Leadership Award
• Paris High School: Holden Gates, College Ready Award; Bryce Markins, College Ready Award; Lacey Millis, College Ready Award; Shay Phillips, College Ready Award; and Tabitha Seuffer, Excellence and Leadership Award.
• Mayo Middle School: Greg Cunningham, Excellence and Leadership Award
• Pana High School: Kylee Buerk, College Ready Award; Kelsey Etchison, College Ready Award; Sandra Burrus, College Ready Award; Megan Cothern, College Ready Award; Brandon Kirkbride, College Ready Award; Susan Smart, College Ready Award; and Tabitha Eilers, Excellence and Leadership Award
• Brownstown High School: Kylee Crown, College Ready Award; Haylee Watts, College Ready Award; and Kristen Barnick, College Ready Award; and Delaney Schulze, Excellence and Leadership Award
• St. Elmo High School: Hannah Magnus, College Ready Award; Brandi Waterman, College Ready Award and Excellence and Leadership Award; Tiffany Austin, College Ready Award; Chelsea Bone, College Ready Award; and Aubrey Carson, College Ready Award
• St. Elmo Jr. High: McKayla Durbin, Excellence and Leadership Award
• Ramsey Grade School Sadie Simon, Excellence and Leadership Award
• Ramsey High School: Kristen Carrell, College Ready Award; Jarod Maske, College Ready Award; Rhonda McDonald, College Ready Award; and Will Strobel, College Ready Award and Excellence and Leadership Award
• Cowden Herrick High School Heather Lawrence, College Ready Award and Excellence and Leadership Award; and Kody Durbin, College Ready Awar
• Cowden Herrick Junior High Luke Senteny, Excellence and Leadership Award.
The College Ready Award is for seniors who have met high school graduation requirements and prepared for post-secondary education. The Leadership Award recognizes and honors participants who demonstrate the spirit of excellence and leadership. The recipients of this award exhibits commitment to leadership in school and community and promote a positive attitude, turning challenges into opportunities.
The Academic Achievement Awards are presented to students who demonstrate outstanding academic performance for the 2013-2014 school year. This year, 188 students were honored. The Academic Achievement Awards were presented to the following:
Brownstown High School
Casey-Westfield High School
Cowden-Herrick Junior High School
Cowden-Herrick High School
Mattoon High School
Mayo Middle School
Pana Junior High School
Pana High School
Paris High School
Ramsey Jr. High
Ramsey High School
Two scholarships were awarded during the event. The Destination College Scholarship went to Kylon Weaver, Mattoon, who plans to attend Washington Harold University in Chicago. Likewise, the Lake Land College Foundation Scholarship went to Brandi Waterman, St. Elmo, who plans to attend Lake Land for cosmetology.
The Lake Land College Destination College program provides college, career, tutoring, financial aid activities, information and experiences to more than 600 students in 16 different middle schools and high schools in the LLC district each year.
Qualified students who show the potential for college enrollment are given the resources, skills and support to enroll in a program of postsecondary education after high school graduation. Destination College also provides students in 6th to 12th grade with new opportunities, career site observations and college visits to various locations at no cost to the student.
Destination College is accepting applications for the 2014-2015 school year for middle and high school students within its target schools. For more information, visit www.lakelandcollege.edu/triodc.
Director of Marketing and Public Relations
Marketing Design Coordinator
Marketing Production Specialist
Marketing Design Coordinator