Request an Incomplete

What it is

A student who is unable to complete the requirements for a course during the scheduled time period due to illness or other extreme circumstance may request the instructor to assign a grade of “I” (Incomplete) and be allowed to complete the course during the next scheduled term (excluding summer).

What to do

To receive a grade of “I”, the student must have been maintaining a passing grade at the time of the documented illness or extreme circumstance, the instructor must agree that this is an appropriate grade for the specific circumstance, and the student and the instructor must complete and submit a Request to Obtain an Incomplete form to the instructor’s Division Chair with final submission to the Admissions and Records Office no later than the grades-due date of the term.

The student must then complete the requirements for the course prior to the mid-term date of the next scheduled semester. After the requirements have been completed, the instructor will determine the grade the student earned (A, B, C, D, F, or P) and report it to the Admissions and Records Office.  Once an “I”grade is assigned, the student may not withdraw from the course. Any “I” grade remaining after the mid-term date will automatically be changed to an “F” grade.

Students should be aware that assignment of an “I” grade may impact their financial aid.

Students affected by this procedure are referred to the grade appeal section of the catalog. (See Board Policy 07.17.01 – Incomplete Grade)